Monday, September 14, 2009

Remember the pitcher I mentioned here. Well this weekend while visiting with my cousins and sister over some yummy homemade ice cream after my GrandMother's funeral, come to find out we all had fond memories of the pitcher in her fridge. Funny how one simple thing can mean so much to you and leave a big memory!! It wasn't some huge expensive gift, big event...it was what was always in the fridge at my Granny and GrandPa's house in Old Hickory, TN (LOVE That place!!). it was a sure thing. you could depend on it being there after a game of tag with cousins, or shooting bb guns, or playing with the neighbor's granddaughters.
You KNEW that the pitcher would be there full of ice cold water to sip on.
Well come to find out the pitcher that is one of those precious memories for me, one of my cousin has at his home
(don't you think he should give it to me?? I mean I even blogged about it for goodness sakes).

My sister and I had no idea. We'd assumed it had been dumped or donated LONG ago.
Isn't it funny though that all of us would have taken that pitcher as a precious family heirloom and treasured it as a precious connection to our grandparents?
I'd love to know how much my Grandparents paid for that pitcher I'm certain it wasn't much, and I'm sure another could be found and purchased easily....but it would not mean the same or be as treasured.

I love that simple things create such long-lasting memories.

I think there is a lesson in that....and a hope


(oh and the picture was my 'sweet' cousin's way of rubbing it in...ha ha....he posted it on facebook. The pitcher is continuing to create memories as we all pretend squabble over it's rightful owner, who will it be willed to next, etc etc)

2 comments:

Cindy in California said...

I know exactly what you mean! Growing up my grandma had a "Red Owl" (grocery store chain) glass in her cupboard. It was likely given out as an advertisement in the '40's or '50's. It was a drinking glass with different measurements on the side. One column was 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, etc., one column was ounces and one column was tablespoons. As a child, I remember always trying to drink "one tablespoon at a time".

As an adult, I would still use the Red Owl glass when I visited her in the Midwest. I talked to my mom about it and she suggested I ask my grandma for it. My grandma was only too happy for me to have it but when we went looking for it in the cupboard it was no where to be found. :-( She thought she maybe broke it and was becoming forgetful so this is probably what happened. I was so sad. My sisters all remember it but for some reason it was a favorite of mine. It was always there!

Several years later my mom and I were in an antique shop and came across one. Although I know it's not "the Red Owl glass" I cherish it in my kitchen. I don't even use it because I don't want to break it but it's out in plain view everyday. If you come across one like it, I think you'll enjoy it even though it's not "the" pitcher she had.

Now both my mom and grandma are in heaven but I cherish the things they taught me, still bake some of the treats they baked and know I will see both of them someday on the other side.

Unknown said...

I love that pitcher! I remember a plastic doll at my grandmother's from many many years ago. We all knew the doll would be in the bottom drawer of the dresser in the spare bedroom. I still remember how the skin and hair felt. And the most popular item there was an old organ. Oh how we all loved that thing. And the many many decks of cards throughout the house.