Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tea and Tortillas

This morning as I washed dishes and talked on the phone with my friend Maria I was handed one of these by John Mark with not a word spoken, just a smile: mine was blue, hubby's yellow. He was in the middle of a training design for a new nursing board game something....
We both wrapped things up and of course headed to the dining room
Where we found place cards directing us to our seats....not our usuals...so exciting!!




on the menu: hummus and pita chips (our fave!), white cheddar cheese slices, apple slices, celery with peanut butter and pumpkin bread for a hint of sweet and of course a bit of Earl Grey...or Pear Green Tea whichever we chose. We both chose Earl Grey, no sugar, no cream



We used these teacups bought specially for us by Papa Gene and the teapot above brought from ReMaw's visit to China to see Aunt Temple and Uncle Reuben!



Even a few extra friends joined us

It was a simply lovely time


We even had games and prizes...and a spilled teapot...oh what jolly good fun was had by all! The conversation was enlightening and delightful!






our neighbor Caroline was even able to join us!! We always love her presence, as her smile and laugh are quite contagious...she enjoyed the pita chips the best but politely declined tea and chose water instead as she was afraid it would spoil the plans she had later that afternoon for a fabulous rest!




Tomorrow I will have to send a thank you note for the lovely time!

Oh how I hope I will be invited back soon !!!



(and maybe since the host and hostess live in the same house as me...just maybe I might actually get beyond writing the note and actually 'send' it!)



And then later today........
(which should be a separate post, but I'm just too stinkin lazy...sorry!)

My son and my father built me this wonderful tortilla press for my b'day this year. I've not used it yet and was in the mood today. I was so thrilled to get to use it! So tonights dinner was baleadas preparada and yuummmmmy was it GOOD!! I had to clear the table so John Mark and hubby would stop eating. have I ever mentioned what a fan of beans my son is? Oh boy is he...beans on a homemade tortilla with some cheese - his FAVORITE!!



if someone reading this has been to Honduras and thinks the plastic no stick 'liner' looks familiar you are right..the use of those infamous shopping bags carries over into the US...ha ha ha!! But nothing sticks to them they are GREAT so I always bring several home for kitchen use!!




this one isn't a pretty one to take a picture of it cooked about 5 secs too long...why it's picture was taken I do not know. But we all need to feel special even when we aren't looking our best right? So here's this not so pretty tortilla's moment in the spotlight then it was eaten and the looks didn't matter any more any way as it was just as delicious as the pretty ones.

3 comments:

EmileeHope said...

The tea party pictures are so cute! Sounds like everyone had a marvelous time! (p.s. could you email me the pics from the neighborhood event that you took? I would really appreciate it!!)

Sara said...

Hey over there in my homeland! I did reconginze the non-stick liner there! What a cool press! I have the real thing that I bought here, but the wooden one is so much more classy!
Sara and Honduras

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

Emilee...yes I will do my best to get them to you. My computer is on the blink and am having to us hubby's when I'm able...but I will!

Sara...sara sara!! It's SOOO go to hear from you! I emailed you a while back, but know how horrid your connection can be. We love you and pray for you and can't wait to see you again! email when you get an opportunity and call if you are able when you are in the states for furlough!!!